[Tagging] tagging for decaying features

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Fri Jan 5 06:11:58 UTC 2018

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 11:04:57 +0100
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 3. Jan 2018, at 23:06, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have moved some disused:railway=* from OSM to OHM as railway=*
> > with start and end dates .. that records what was there then, not
> > its present state ...
>

> disused:railway is about something that is there (a disused railway
> element like tracks or a station), abandoned:railway is also about
> disused railways, but in a state of degradation (e.g. trees growing
> between the tracks). razed railways would typically not be mapped in
> osm, as they are no longer there. IIRR there is also the proposed
> concept of dismantled railways where the tracks are removed but it is
> still perceivable as former railway (e.g. embankments and tunnels,
> bridges). While disused and abandoned are states that are not
> disputed for inserting in osm (afaik), dismantled and razed are.
> Personally I’d accept dismantled railways as long as there is
> something, even if it requires additional knowledge or experience to
> understand that what you see is a former railway.

Where do you draw the line between "there" and "not there" for a former
railroad?

1. A railroad, still with tracks, with grass growing between the rails.
You can't tell if it's been used recently or not.
2. A railroad, still with tracks, that's been overgrown by brush and
small trees.  It clearly hasn't been used in the past few years.
3. A gravel railbed with occasional maintenance debris (discarded
spikes, cracked signal footings, rotted ties).
4. A railroad right-of-way that has had the ballast removed and
replaced by asphalt, turning it into a bicycle route.
5. A cutting through a rock outcropping leading to a collapsed tunnel.
Any residual ballast has been buried by wind-blown dirt and overgrown
by trees.
6. A curved line stretching two miles through a city without a single
building crossing it.
7. A railroad whose only remnant is a line on a topographic map dating
from 1901.

--
Mark