[Tagging] Subway vs light rail

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Sun Jan 7 10:26:17 UTC 2018

Hi Fernando,

Am 2018-01-04 um 13:32 schrieb Fernando Trebien:
> A German mapper just changed the rail type of a line [1] in my area
> (southern Brazil) from light_rail to subway.
>
> Here those trains run on the surface (contrary to most subways) and
> have no at-grade intersections with other traffic (contrary to most
> light rail systems). Also, metro systems like this are usually
> considered "heavy rail," [2] so it really doesn't look like this
> should be "light rail". It is also not simply railway=rail since it is
> not the highest level of rail service and it only carries passengers.
>
> […]
>
> [1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/420335

The relation you refer to is now a public transport version 2 relation.
light_rail is no valid value for route=* in this schema. It is only a
valid value for railway=* (the infrastructure).

Subways don't have to run underground. There are lots of subway systems
with long sections outside tunnels, either elevated on bridges or just
on ground level because it is cheaper to build and maintain and space
was available. The key feature of railway=subway is the separation from
other traffic and the absence of at-grade intersections.

Best regards

Michael