[Tagging] route/forward/backward members in all types of routes

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 21:50:32 UTC 2018

A user recently questioned me about adding members with role "forward"
to subway routes in my area. It is my understanding that, if the route
runs in a single direction, this is allowed and desirable [1].
However, specific articles [2][3] on different types of railways seem
to suggest that the role should be always empty, and I believe this is
misleading. Does anybody oppose adding these roles to these articles
as well?

Other such articles currently do not mention relation member roles
[4], maybe they should.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route#Members
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dsubway#Members
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dtram#Members