[Tagging] Urbex

OSMDoudou 19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238eee at gmx.com
Mon Jan 8 21:51:29 UTC 2018

Hello,

I stumbled upon this place: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2994322059.

I initially thought Urbex would be the former name of the factory
("Exploitation de craie abandonée" = "abandoned clay exploitation" in
English), but it seems it rather stands for "Urban Exploration":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_exploration.

I wanted to improve the tagging, but I’m not sure what to choose.

I thought an area for the land piece with:
* abandoned:landuse=industrial
* resource=clay
* description=Exploitation de craie abandonée

And an area for the building on the land piece with:
* abandoned:building=industrial

But what about the urban exploration activity ?

I couldn't find something helpful in the Wiki and I found only two
occurrences of urbex=yes on taginfo:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/urbex.

Though not popular, urbex=yes could make sense but then only as an
additional tag, I suppose.

Probably leisure would be suitable because urbex is not a physical something
but an entertaining activity conducted at the place.

So, I thought of a node with:
* leisure=urban_exploration (or urbex ?)
* urbex=yes (to be consistent with the other two existing occurences of the
tag, but is it advisable ?)
* description=Urban Exploration
* wikipedia=en:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_exploration (because
there is not documentation of urbex on OSM Wiki, I was thinking of a link to
Wikipedia instead; because urbex puzzled me, it will likely puzzle someone
lese and a link on the tag might come handy, even if to a generic article)
* informal=yes (ultimately, it's a probably a private place and even if
exploration was doable in practice without too much trouble, it's probably
not official and I'm not inclined to tag access=permissive because it might
imply a sort of permission was given but I have no evidence of that from my
armchair).

What would you recommend to improve the tagging ?

Thx.