[Tagging] Water source types

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 21:00:27 UTC 2018

See also
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2017-November/034023.html.

My comments were:

I agree it's confusing. On one reading of the wiki man_made=water _tap with
amenity=drinking_water would mean the exactly the same as man_made=water_tap +
drinking_water=yes.

On the other hand I think amenity=drinking_water should be reserved for
things primarily intended for direct water consumption, like a bubler or
fountain or roman style fountain like
thishttps://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Nasona_a_via_annia_faustina_2.JPG.

A tap in the garden is intended to water the plans, not to drink straight
out of (even though physically it's very similar to that roman fountain) so
shouldn't have amenity=drinking_water, it should be man_made=water_tap +
drinking_water=yes.

So the function of a water tap is primarily to attach a hose to, whereas
amenity=drinking_water is primarily to drink directly from the steam of
water. But this isn't really well documented on the wiki.