[Tagging] area=yes on object without kind

OSMDoudou 19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238eee at gmx.com
Fri Jan 12 18:56:39 UTC 2018

Don't worry about local knowledge, I'm local mapper and will survey the place.

I found a dozen of similar or slightly different cases in the area, and the problem is not about verify things, but about *what* to verify.

The goal of using street view images is not to map based on that, but to discuss the most concretely possible the approach to tag such a place, i.e. what visual clues are you searching for and not seeing in the image (e.g. "I was looking for a parking road sign, but I don't see one"), what other sources of information to possibly consult (e.g. reach out to other local mappers via changeset comments or a note on the map), etc.

As an additional information, this piece of land is not a private property (it's not circled with a red line in the governmental map registering properties [1]). So, it's perfectly allowed to park there, and if in practice it's not frequently used for that, it's probably simply because there is enough parking around closer to the places that need a visit.

So, I was thinking:
- amenity=parking and informal=yes, because it's obvious it can serve as a parking place but it's not visually designated as such (no road signs)
- highway=service, service=driveway and area=yes, because it can be used to reach to properties
- landuse=retail and landcover=gravel, because it's reasonable to consider it part of the adjacent retail area
- delete the area, because there is no clear main purpose (but if another mapper found it worth mapping it in the first place, there must be some value to it)

I was tempted by parking, but I'm now more inclined towards landuse=retail.

[1] http://geoportail.wallonie.be/walonmap#SHARE=6294968BB7625EA3E053D0AFA49DC676