[Tagging] Water source types

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 19:46:55 UTC 2018

On 12-Jan-18 08:45 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 11. Jan 2018, at 22:14, Selfish Seahorse <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In order to avoid repeating ourselves again in a year: should I add a
>> note to the wiki page of `amenity=drinking_water` that this tag is
>> discouraged?
>
> I’m all for tagging details, and if someone wants to add man_made or other tags to an amenity=drinking_water he should do it, but I don’t want to require it. (We’re using “fountain=<type>” around here to tag subtypes of drinking fountains)
>
> amenity=drinking_water works for me, and it is widely in use, to discourage its use in the wiki you would need more than a discussion of a handful of people on this list.

The tag amenity=drinking_water is non specific, it could be a spring, a stream, a pool. I view it as similar to highway=road.

The man_made=tap,drinking_fountain, well stand by themselves. They do not need amenity=drinking_water, and suggesting that amenity=drinking_water
  should be included with them is wrong. Rendering of these man_made tags is a separate issue and should not determine the tags used.