[Tagging] Surface value for portuguese pavement

OSMDoudou 19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238eee at gmx.com
Mon Jan 15 09:17:49 UTC 2018

Of course, what is art is left to everyone's guess and I'm trying to not enter this debate… :-)

Maybe a way out is Wikipedia's suggestion that the term "craft" could be used instead of "art": " Often, if the skill is being used in a common or practical way, people will consider it a craft instead of art." [1] And the Wikipedia article on Portuguese pavement also tends to generally qualify it as craft, and only as art when it's particularly nice.

However, it's my reading of the OSM Wiki that the tag "craft" denotes the place where the craft is *created* and not where it's *deployed*.

Anyway, adding precision with subtype tags looks a good option because it captures a factual element visible on the ground and leaves the discussion whether it's art or not is outside OSM.

Maybe some people will start a debate about the "Portuguese" qualifier, but that's another story… :-)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art