[Tagging] No U turn restriction in a roundabout

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Tue Jan 16 23:14:27 UTC 2018

On 16.01.2018 22:39, OSMDoudou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was fixing incorrect restrictions tagging in the area, when I noticed restriction=no_u_turn on the
> highway segments forming the roundabout (not talking about the junctions with the roundabout, but
> really the roundabout itself). [1]

Indeed the restriction is about u-turning onto the identical road segment. This makes no sense.

> I find strange to tag the segments of the roundabout with no_u_turn because the roundabout and the
> entry/exits junctions are tagged oneway (and you're not supposed to make a u turn in a oneway).

junction=roundabout is considered implicitly to be a oneway. Some people prefer to add an explicit
oneway=yes which would do no harm.

> Am I missing something ?

No.

> Shall I remove these restrictions ?

Yes, and contact the mapper via changeset discussion. Ask him/her what the intent was behind the
restriction. Sometimes people try to fix the behaviour of a particular satnav system, while in this
case the issue would need to be filed with the satnav software.