[Tagging] Difference between lighthouses and beacons

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 18 14:25:28 UTC 2018

On 18/01/2018 13:52, Janko Mihelić wrote:
> I looked at man_made=beacon. Taginfo says we have about 7 000 of those,
> and the wiki shows something that resembles what we are talking about,
> but not quite:

man_made=beacon *is* the appropriate tag for such structures. Tags in
the "seamark" namespace relate only to the *navigational function* of an
object, not the physical form. Many beacon objects have no navigational
function & therefore do not carry "seamark" tags.

It is important mappers doing a surveys can apply correct tags to
observed objects without any knowledge of their function.