[Tagging] Sidewalks and cycleways as tags vs as extra lines and StreetComplete

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 21:02:04 UTC 2018

"Note that a cycle track may alternatively be drawn as a separate way
next to the road which is tagged as highway=cycleway. Both methods
each have their pros and cons. While adding a single tag to an
existing way takes less time and still often describes the cycle track
accurately, a separately tagged cycle way is generally more flexible
and allows to capture more detail. When mapping a cycle track as its
own way, do not use any of the tags described below. "

I think this means that, when trying to represent in OSM a road with a
parallel cycle track, if the track is mapped as a different line with
highway=cycleway, you should not add cycleway=* on the main road's
line.

Or is it about a road with both a cycle lane AND a parallel cycle
track? If it is so, there would be no need to discuss pros and cons of
either method (tag on main way vs separate way), one should surely use
cycleway=lane on the main way and also map the parallel track as a
separate line.

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 3:30 PM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> You've either misread the paragraph or misused the asterisk.
>
> Roads can have a separate cycle path running parallel to it *and* a
> designated cycle lane in the road.
>
> DaveF
>

> On 16/01/2018 19:31, Fernando Trebien wrote:
>>
>> Second paragraph here:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway#Cycle_tracks
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> For clarity, could you confirm which wiki page that is written.
>>>
>>> DaveF

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"Nullius in verba."