[Tagging] Difference between lighthouses and beacons

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 02:16:14 UTC 2018

On 19/01/18 00:52, Janko Mihelić wrote:
> Ok, the discussion at least came to an agreement that this:
>
> https://imgur.com/a/U8SXn
>
> is not a man_made=lighthouse.

Don't be too sure about that. I thought that we could all agree that a
lighthouse had some thing to do with light and houses, but it turns out
that's not an universally held opinion.

> We have A LOT of those mapped as
> lighthouses (I think the majority of that tag is on the wrong element).

To be fair to those mappers you need to go back and look at how a
lighthouse was defined in the wiki article (eg: from the beginning of
2016
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:man_made%3Dlighthouse&oldid=1257147)
where they are defined as:

"A tower that emits (or emitted) a light signal assisting navigation on
sea."

which is what is in your photo above.

The trick would be to redefine what a lighthouse is so that mappers
might have a chance of getting it "right".