[Tagging] Difference between lighthouses and beacons

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 10:49:24 UTC 2018

I think the border between lighthouses and beacons can only be fuzzy, we
can never make a clear line. We can have a few pointers like "living
quarters, big in size", but nothing set in stone. And that is ok because
their purpose is the same, so some overlaping is not a problem. But I
believe we do want to differentiate between this:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/44263014.jpg

and this

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Buoy_seal.jpg/250px-Buoy_seal.jpg

We have seamark tags that only look at their light and its properties, but
the man_made tag can look at the structure and how it looks and feels.

Janko