[Tagging] religious place for any religion/multiple religions

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 20 11:37:27 UTC 2018

Hello,

Le 19. 01. 18 à 22:04, Tom Pfeifer a écrit :
> On 19.01.2018 19:37, marc marc wrote:
>> Le 19. 01. 18 à 14:40, Mateusz Konieczny a écrit :
>>> There are religious places that are not for any specific religion
>>> I would expect that religion=multifaith is used for the first purpose.
>>
>> in this case, why adding a "fake" religious ? if it's not related to a
>> specific religion, don't add a specific religion value :)
>> imho religion=multifaith is a mistake.
>
> No I don't see it as a mistake. It is not a fake religion, it is an
> unambiguous catchword. "multi*" is used in OSM for facilities that serve
> an unspecific number of different purposes, sport=multi is another example.

"multi" is not the same as "any/all" !

If I am looking for a cemetery for the A religion, I can do a query
overpass with religion=A or religion=any. the locations found will match
my request.

but you can't do anything with multi.
maybe the place matches, maybe the place doesn't match.

so I still believe that using "multi" for "any" is a mistake.
and in the case where multi actually means "more than one",
it would be best to encode the 2-3 religions in question so that the
data could be used. otherwise multi look like as "several, but I didn't
encode the detail so you don't know, go see for yourself", this doesn't
provide any additional information about the absence of religion tag.

Regards,
Marc