[Tagging] Sidewalks and cycleways as tags vs as extra lines and StreetComplete

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 16:05:16 UTC 2018

Undone. But we need to talk about how messy the scheme is becoming by
mapping cycleways and sidewalks differently when separate from the
main way.

We have sidewalk=separate [1] on the main way to express that a
sidewalk was mapped separately.
We have footway=sidewalk [2] on the separate way to express that it is
a sidewalk and not some other kind of footway.
On cycleways, we don't suggest using any tag (we only advise against
double representation) [3], even though cycleway=sidepath has been
used for both purposes [4].

It would be sensible to use the same terminology to express the same
concept, while adoption is still low.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:sidewalk%3Dseparate
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:footway%3Dsidewalk
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway#Cycle_tracks
[4] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:cycleway%3Dsidepath

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:19 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/01/2018 14:47, Fernando Trebien wrote:
>>
>> When mapping sidewalks and cycleways, it is possible to do so as tags
>> on the line of the motorised way [1][2] or as standalone lines
>> parallel to it [1][3].
>

> You've recently changed the wiki to suggest that sidewalk=sidepath is valid:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:sidewalk&diff=next&oldid=1523440
>
> taginfo suggests that almost no-one uses it, so I don't think that this is a
> sensible wiki change:
>
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/sidewalk=sidepath
>
> The wiki is at its best when it describes how people map, not when people
> who have not mapped a thing tell other people how to map things.
>
> Best Regards,
> Andy

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409