[Tagging] Tagging shared zones?

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Sat Jul 14 14:36:14 UTC 2018

Hello,

Should ... shared zones (AU, NZ), also known as...
- Begegnungszone (CH, AT)[1]
- Zone de rencontre (BE, FR)[2]
- Zona de coexistĂȘncia (PT)
... be tagged specifically in OpenStreetMap?

And if yes, with what?

Shared zones are similar to living streets, in that they are both
implementations of the concept of shared space[3], only that shared
zones are something I would call "living street light". What these
implementations I mentioned above all have in common are:
- pedestrians have right of way or at least equal rights to other
  road users
- max speed is *not* walking speed, but signposted (usually 10-20 km/h)

Greetings
Tobias

[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begegnungszone
[2] https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_de_rencontre