[Tagging] Golf wiki page

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 22:56:10 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 11:32 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Watching this with interest as, just the other day, while on holidays, I
> was looking at a golf club that is apparently built within the boundaries
> of a designated State Forest, intended for logging purposes, so it *is* landuse=forest
> as far as OSM is concerned, but it is also leisure=golf_course!
>
> Makes as interesting one, as in this case, mapping correctly shows the
> wrong rendered result, as it shows that this area is covered by trees, when
> it is in fact a golf club, with normal tees, fairways, greens etc.

Use a multipolygon relation.

If you're using iD, select the forest, scroll the "edit feature" pane down
to all relations, click on the +, then click on new
relation.  Choose multipolygon.  It should let you set the role of the
forest to outer.  Note all the tags on the forest
(landuse=forest and whatever else) and add those tags to the multipolyon
then delete them from the forest itself (which is
now treated as a closed line, don't worry about that, it's all going to be
fine).  Now select the golf course, down to relations,
add it to whatever you called the forest multipolygon and set role to
inner.  That's all from memory as I was taking a break
from a complicated edit so can't run through all the steps to check.

You can't do it this way unless the golf course is inside the forest.  It
can have a partial common border but it must
be inside.  Two areas with a partial overlap won't work.

If you figure out how to do it from my incomplete explanation, you'll now
see the golf course rendered properly.  I know
this stuff does what you want because I've recently added lakes with
islands and forests with quarries and ponds.

--
Paul