[Tagging] Route maintenance tagging

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:14:38 UTC 2018

On 19/07/2018 07:50, Peter Elderson wrote:
> I would like some thoughts on the idea of tagging route maintenance.
> Long hiking & cycling routes need regular maintenance. On the road, of
> course, which is not our problem, but as a consequence they need
> re-surveying and adapting the route relations to reality.

What do you mean by "maintenance" here?  It could mean many things:

o Making sure that the route in OSM still matches the route on the
ground (diversions etc.).

o Making sure that the route on the ground is actually navigable (e.g. a
section of a walking route near me has suffered a landslip).

o Making sure that the route markers on the ground are mapped in OSM
(and updating OSM where they have disappeared)

o Making sure that the route is still contiguous in OSM (sometimes if
someone deletes and remaps an area they'll forget to readd a way to the
route)

Best Regards,

Andy