[Tagging] Public Transport v3 — starting RFC

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 20 20:43:26 UTC 2018

Hi

In the UK the are forty relations as site=railway_station with the role
of 'stop'. Am I correct in think these are redundant in relation to the
current PT schema?

I asked what stop_areas are for on the OSM forum. Could you clarify? The
wiki states what they are, but not their usage. Are there any routers
etc who make use of them? Are they really needed? Why were bike racks or
toilets included in some?

I'm very glad to see it's proposed to deprecated 'stop_position,
platform and station'. 'Station', when used on railway-station was
duplication of data which led to confusion & errors. Unsure about "They
can be used, but they don't mean anything anymore." If they don't mean
anything they shouldn't be used & removed. The database shouldn't be
filled with irrelevant gumpf.

What are stop_area_groups for? It appears they just add further layers
of confusion. Relations aren't meant to be a 'collection of things'. If
stop_area can be found by something like an API query call, do they need
to be in a relation? Will/do routers use them?

Could you clarify what is meant by 'segment' in "Stops (platforms) are
mandatory for a route relation, and segments are not."

"bus=yes, tram=yes, subway=yes" tags on the Station and Stop objects
will be duplication & superfluous.

I agree that Stations and Stops should be separate from buildings &
landuse.

The last line of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Public_Transport_v3#Stops_and_Stations
mentions 'public_transport=station'. which I thought you said was
deprecated.

Regards
DaveF