[Tagging] building = house vs detached.

Mike H 1jgon6 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 18:56:55 UTC 2018

The definitions of building=house and building=detached on the wiki are
very similar and don't seem to have any meaningful difference.

I've seen people say that house is meant for rowhouses, and detached should
be for stand-alone houses, but there is no documentation that explains
that. If that is the intended meanings of the tags, then the wiki pages
need some work.

As far as how I've seen things actually mapped, I've only ever seen the
building=house tag. Taginfo shows 1.2 million uses of detached, and 27.2
million uses of building=house, so they are both used quite a bit, but
house is used a lot more.

Can anyone elaborate on these tags, or have ideas on how they could be
better written about?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dhouse
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Ddetached