[Tagging] building = house vs detached.

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon Jul 23 00:57:46 UTC 2018

On 7/22/2018 6:16 PM, Warin wrote:

> For a row of houses .. ie terrace houses there is
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace
>
> I disagree with the suggesting if they are individually mapped they
> should be tagged building=house, they are still a terrace so
> building=terrace is still appropriate and more detailed.

By my understanding, the building=terrace tag is to be used when an
entire set (terrace) of row houses is mapped as a single building way.
Then the individual residences can be indicated using address nodes or
address interpolation.

If each individual row house is mapped as its own building way, each
should be tagged building=house.

(Per the wiki, building=terrace is for "a single way used to define the
outline of a linear row of residential dwellings, each of which normally
has its own entrance, which form a terrace (row-house in North American
English). Consider defining each dwelling separately using 'house'.")