[Tagging] building = house vs detached.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:00:00 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 23. Jul 2018, at 14:13, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> The owner would say he lived in a bungalow. No stairs, ground floor only.

> I don't think "terraced bungalow" exists as a phrase, but as a concept it certainly does.

it does not seem to be a very promising concept though. Terraced houses are usually seen as a compromise for people who want an independent house, but cannot afford a detached one. Terraced houses are cheaper because they need less ground (i.e. you can usually find them where the ground is expensive to buy), expensive ground means you’ll try to use it intensively, which is contradicting the bungalow concept.
Terraced houses are almost always narrow, deep and relatively high.

Maybe in the UK with its tradition of terraced houses there could be a cultural interest in something like terraced bungalows and there is also an energetic advantage from reducing external walls, but overall there’s little danger this will become a widespread concept for housing.

Cheers,
Martin