[Tagging] building = house vs detached.

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 24 22:11:35 UTC 2018

On 2018-07-24 23:51, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> We should not remove the details, and nuances in this field, data consumers can deal with it, they will either treat all/most buildings the same (so it doesn't matter to them anyway), or they could be specifically interested in generalized types they can now define as they need, or they are really interested in different dwelling typologies and their spatial distribution, and are happy with what they find in some places in osm.
>
> What would IMHO make more sense are lists or better structured trees that show the system / hierarchy of the building values that are in use. The current flat list does not do a very good job in explaining the system nor for finding specific tags.

I am always in favour of initiatives to increase the structuredness of
the data. But we must also not be tempted to force multiple concepts
into a single tag hierarchy. Before we start down that path, let us be
clear what the hierarchy is intended to represent, and what factors are
in-scope (a different brick colour will not lead to a different building
type, but brick-built vs. wood-faced may impact the type). Lets be
explicit about whether it is as-built or as-used, and how to handle
mixed-use buildings. If we look first at as-built, we will need a
parallel tagging taxonomy for the usage aspect; and the other way around
of course.