[Tagging] Castles and manors

Ture Pålsson ture at turepalsson.se
Wed Jul 25 07:20:24 UTC 2018

I noticed that this structure: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/190298018 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/190298018> is tagged historic=castle. It is certainly not defensive (Swedish Wikipedia: https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennartsnäs), so I thought it needed a castle_type, but reading the wiki description of castle_type=manor (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:castle_type%3Dmanor) confused me a bit. It says that historic=manor can be used for "manors which are not castles", which makes me wonder: what is the difference between a historic=castle,castle_type=manor and a historic=manor?

(I'm also not entirely sure whether this is a "manor" or a "stately".)