[Tagging] Documentation issues of PT tagging schemes

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 25 15:02:36 UTC 2018

On 25/07/2018 05:58, Roland Olbricht wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> This would not be the bells and whistles method, but the bread and
>> water method. The basics that would have the routing working and the
>> map displaying things.
>
> See
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dbus_stop

I see fundamental problems in the third paragraph. As is says
public_transport=platform & highway=bus_stop are representing the same
entity, then it's duplication of data, which leads to confusion &
errors, and tagging incorrectly for the renderer.

> and
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dplatform

And similar here in the first paragraph.

public_transport=platform appears superfluous as there are existing &
widely used tags to "identify the places where passengers board or
alight from public transport"

PTv2 schema made the mistake of trying to create an all-encompassing
Venn diagram like circle around existing transport entities. It's claim
that "This proposal extends the existing and well known tags" turned out
to be incorrect. It just repeats them. Duplication is not the way to do it.

> Both wiki pages are up to date and pretty prefect. "Up to date" means
> that more than 90% of all public transport objects are mapped that way.
>
> From a semantic way, it would only be necessary to drop a few words for
> - tram stops without a platform
> - subway stations: if the underground structure is not known then you
> should map at least "railway=station" + "name=<Name>" and all entrances
> And a decent mapping scheme would be complete.
>

> Bottom line: Nobody, really nobody needs relations of type stop_area,
> stop_area_group, route_master, network, and stop_position information.

I agree, but if public_transport=platform & public_transport=station are
also redundant, what's left? If all public_transport tags are removed
will anybody be unable to create routing?

Cheers
DaveF