[Tagging] Let's get (quite) rid of units and their multiples in OSM values

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 19:09:49 UTC 2018

> Regulatory things like maxspeed=* should have the unit in the tag, and
>they should be in the same units that the signs are in. A sign reading
>'Speed limit 25 mph' means 25 mph, and entering 40.2336 km/h loses the
>information that the regulatory signs are in US customary units.

I agree with and use this method when I tag U.S. highways. Many people,
including myself, wish the U.S. wasn't still tied to the ridiculous and
anachronistic Avoirdupois system of weights and measures but in America, a
25 mph speed limit is what we see posted and what Americans see on their
speedometers.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand