[Tagging] Missing access value (access=license / authorization?)

Alan Grant alangrant72 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 23:52:50 UTC 2018

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018, 00:28 Warin, <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> For me a 'licence' implies a certain level of skill or knowledge is
> required -
> e.g. licences for driving a vehicle, having a gun all should have tests of
> skill and/or knowledge.
> It is a formal process.
>
> A permit, on the other hand,  does not carry the same level of authority
> and implied skill/knowledge as a licence.
> It is usually a much less formal process to obtain a permit.

Obtaining a TV licence in the UK or Ireland does not require demonstrating
the ability to operate a television! I don't think the "less formal"
distinction holds either - obtaining a residence permit or an employment
permit is often a very formal process.

So I really don't think there is any systematic distinction to be drawn
between permit and license/licence. I think I would slightly favour licence
because potential confusion between licence and license is less important
than between permit and permissive - in the former case the intention is
obvious, whereas if someone mixes up permit and permissive there is no way
for other mappers to know. That is a minor point though, either way I think
this is a useful access category.