[Tagging] Missing access value (access=license / authorization?)

Szem szembiketeam at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 15:54:56 UTC 2018

2018.07.27. 23:47 keltezéssel, Kevin Kenny írta:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 11:54 AM marc marc<marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com>  wrote:
>> a good idea would be to explain with a (as easy as possible) example
>> why access=customers or private does not fit for your need.
>> If it was what you did in your previous email, sorry but I didn't
>> understand it, because your examples are too general, without
>> explanation about existing tag problems
> (Side note: I favour 'access=permit' over 'access=licence' because
> it's spelt the same way on both sides of the Atlantic. Choosing a tag
> that's spelt differently in US and UK English simply invites
> misspellings.)
>
> Here's an attempt at an explanation:
>
> In the area that I'm mapping, there are rural regions - even with the
> same land management - that have different regulatory regimes - and I
> wish to render them differently.
>
> They fall into major categories.  I'll also include specific examples
> from the New York City water supply lands, because that specific land
> owner has (or has had) examples in all the categories.
>
> [1] 'access=private'.  These are private lands, or government-owned
> lands for which public access is not routinely granted. They are
> usually posted 'NO TRESPASSING' or similar verbiage - but would also
> comprise farmers' fields and the curtilage of private houses. For
> these, unless I have a relationship with the landowner, I have no
> reason to expect access, and it would be regarded socially as being
> quite strange to request it without a compelling reason.  On a hiking
> map, I'd show these as 'out of bounds - off limits'.
>
> The New York City water supply bureau owns large parcels of land in
> this category - marked with uniform yellow NO TRESPASSING signs. that
> look like http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/images/resources/watershed_sign4.jpg
> . I cannot show an OSM example because I haven't mapped them in OSM. I
> don't map that sort of cadastre; instead, for lands, I consider
> 'access=private' to be the default.

> [2] 'access=customers'. There are a number of clubs, resorts, ski
> areas, and similar facilities that sell access (often labeled
> something like a 'grounds membership' - offering the right to cross
> the lands but none of the other club services). There is a reason that
> I might be authorized as a member of the general public. (Of course,
> 'customers' may also include guests of members, conference attendees
> at resorts, and similar prople.) Some government-owned lands fall
> under this category - for instance, there are government
> watershed-protection lands that ordinarily offer public access only in
> hunting season to hunters who've paid for the privilege.
>
> The New York City lands under this scheme are marked with
> special-purpose signs like
> http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/images/resources/watershed_sign5.jpg .
> These signs differ from area to area, since so do the ways of
> obtaining the privilege to use the land.  I do see this as an actual
> [...]
Thanks for this detailed summary!
Essentially my opinion is the same so our biking map was made based on
this opinion. Only the name of tag was problematic, therefore I asked at
first the Hungarian mailing list, and now this international one.
_The most of the you was agreed that a new tag is required_ (or it is
already used by some of them)
When more than 3 people dispute, there is no consensus possible :)
(permit <->license/licence)
Perhaps it would be worth _finding the majority opinion_ not rejecting
the problem...
After it add it to the wiki (if someone doesn't want to use it, he won't)/
/My English knowledge is rather weak. It would be better if I were not
the one who wrote it. Warin?

Szem