[Tagging] Let's get (quite) rid of units and their multiples in OSM values

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 23:21:16 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 29. Jul 2018, at 09:57, Javier Sánchez Portero <javiersanp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> To avoid problems when querying, in case of explicitly add units, I would prefer to use a separate tag like maxspeed:units=mph, for example.

spreading the information over 2 tags creates another point of possible failure: units and tag value getting out of sync.

Moving the unit into the key would work better in some way: height_m=3
maxspeed_mph=25
It would enable differing values in different units, but at least these would be evidently wrong (e.g maxspeed_kph=30 and ...mph=25 on the same object), and of course you shouldn’t add both anyway (unless they would both be legally correct)

cheers,
Martin