[Tagging] default access tag for driveways

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Jul 30 08:15:41 UTC 2018

28. Lipiec 2018 00:20 od graemefitz1 at gmail.com <mailto:graemefitz1 at gmail.com>:

> On 28 July 2018 at 03:33, Mike H <> 1jgon6 at gmail.com <mailto:1jgon6 at gmail.com>> > wrote:
>
>> service=driveway isn't just for residential driveways. It is also used for other driveways. Here is an example of a driveway to a church. >> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/100946154 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/100946154>>>    I would agree that residential driveways should probably be implied as access=private.
>
> But people are allowed to use your driveway in some circumstances eg tradesmen, couriers, family or friends coming to your house. I think that access=destination would still allow them to visit, but stop routers from sending other people up your garden path? :-)

access=destination excludes only transit traffic. For private driveways access=private is better,

as owner may grant access to whoever (s)he wishes and access is not assumed OK without

permission from owner.

Note that there are also cases of driveways accessible to public, I would not tag them asaccess=private (typical in for example rural areas).