[Tagging] amenity=festival_ground

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:06:34 UTC 2018

> I came across the tag amenity=festival_grounds
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dfestival_grounds> and
> it has quite a bit of variance in its use. I wrote a diary entry on it so I
> have more details there. https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/jgon6/
> diary/44497
>
> Basically, the tag has 3 main uses. The first is to map where specific
> festivals are hosted. The second is to map outdoor music venues, and the
> third is to map sites that actually host festivals or other large events. I
> know this tag was never "approved", but it does have more than a few uses,
> and I think it could be a useful tag.
>
> What thought does everyone else have?

I do not understand the difference between the first and third usage you
mention.

I could imagine making a distinction between "music venues" (places where
there are often concerts, like from daily to at least several times a
month) and those where festivals are held infrequently (but maybe regularly
recurring), the latter being classified as festival grounds. Maybe there
are also other events taking place on these grounds? An indicator could
also be the kind of fencing: is it permanent (music venue) or temporary
(festival ground).

There are also venues which can't be classified as music venues, because a
lot of different kind of events take place there (amongst which also
concerts).

Other places where festivals and open air concerts take place cannot
reasonably be tagged as festival grounds, like the central square of the
town or city, e.g. in Rome there are concerts in Circus Maximus or in front
of the St. John's Basilica (few times a year), in Verona there is the
"arena" an ancient Roman amphitheatre (many different events through the
year, unsure about this), in medieval towns the concerts are often at the
market square, in front of the townhall, etc.  and also other temporary
festival grounds can be known for different reasons, e.g. castles, stadions
and racing circuits. Some of them are mostly known for a famous festival
that takes place there, while for others the festival is just a small part
of what they do. Shall this be important for our classification?

Then there are places where festivals are held but otherwise there is
"nothing" remarkable (farmland, desert, meadow, beach etc.).

Generally, we should decide what kind of features and or properties we
would want to distinguish and which tags are the best (universally
applicable, unambigous compared to the things we want to distinguish) to do
it. Having the same tag for what we perceive as different things (according
to your statement cited above) is not good.

Cheers,
Martin