[Tagging] Hamlet is always an unincorporated place in OSM?

santamariense imagens.sm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 20:06:16 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

In Brazil the tag place=hamlet is being used for smallest places, however,
according to Wikipedia, hamlet may be an unincorporated place. And,
I've always observed that place=hamlet isn't in the correct hierarchy
when it's shown in Nominatin.

Example: São José da Porteirinha (
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/416766430 ) is shown replacing the
name of the municipality (admin_level=8) in Nominatin: "Sede, São José
da Porteirinha, Microrregião de Santa Maria, Mesorregião
Centro-Ocidental Rio-Grandense, Rio Grande do Sul, Região Sul, Brasil"
( https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=São%20José%20da%20Porteirinha
), where, the correct hierarchy should be "São José da Porteirinha,
Sede, Dilermando de Aguiar, Microrregião de Santa Maria, Mesorregião
Centro-Ocidental Rio-Grandense, Rio Grande do Sul, Região Sul, Brasil"

Then, I believe that for Nominatin, all place=hamlet is being taken as
unincorporated place. There's no place in Brazil that is
unincorporated. By the correct hierarchy, place=hamlet in Brazil
should be hierarchly got after level=10.

That's so weird as saying that Nominatin should show a hierarchy like
State, City, Country instead of City, State, Country.

The question is: Is Nominatin wrong or are we mapping a thing that
there not be in Brazil and a best tag should be applied? Or maybe a
new tag like unincorporated=yes/no should be created to complement the
type of hamlet?

[]'s

user santamariense