[Tagging] Hamlet is always an unincorporated place in OSM?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jun 4 20:23:24 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:06 PM, santamariense <imagens.sm at gmail.com> wrote:

> The question is: Is Nominatin wrong or are we mapping a thing that
> there not be in Brazil and a best tag should be applied? Or maybe a
> new tag like unincorporated=yes/no should be created to complement the
> type of hamlet?

It can vary from place to place.  In the US, village tends to be the value
used for small unincorporated towns, with hamlet being not much more than a
named crossroads with maybe one or two residences.  For us, town and city
is a little stickier, since towns and cities are specific kinds of
incorporated places in much of America.