[Tagging] British term for municipal greenery?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:02:28 UTC 2018

landuse=village_green is used a lot. That works fine for grass-covered
areas, because it's rendered green, but it misinterprets the term
village_green and we're still stuck with the scrub, forest, orchard and
hedge type greenery areas. The wiki for village_green says:

*This tag is very often not used to map the distinctive part of a village
centre as described above, but to map all kinds of mixed vegetation
(plants, bushes, flowers, small trees, grass), mostly in urban areas, very
often maintained by the Municipality. See the photos on the talk page for
this type of use.*

*Such use of the tag is incorrect, and a better tagging for these
situations needs to be defined.*

I guess I am looking for a better definition which can be implemented
without much hustle.

E.g. replace landuse=village_green with landuse=decorative (defaut
rendering=greenish) then add landcover=scrub|trees|bushes|sand|gravel as
needed.

If rendering of these landcover values could be foreseen in the near
future, retagging can be expected and a lot of fake orchards, mini-forests
and fak village_greens would disappear from Nederland.

> 4 Jun 2018, 23:50 by pelderson at gmail.com:
>

> Problem is, landcover is not rendered. Nobody is going to retag for
> notrendered. Probably never going to change.
>
> Using landcover (probably in addition to rendered tags) increases chance
> that
> it will be rendered by at least some.

Vr gr Peter Elderson