[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag (was: Re: British term for municipal greenery?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 14:24:14 UTC 2018

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> there is unanimous (?) consensus that landuse is about the usage of land
>> (“For describing the primary use of areas of land.”)
>> how can “grass” fit into a system like this?
>>

> Because the grass is there intentionally and is maintained (mown, at
> least).  The land is deliberately used to grow
> grass for some reason. Be it for decoration, or as a strip between
> sidewalk and the road to encourage people not
> to walk too close to the road, or some other purpose, somebody made a
> decision to grow/maintain grass there.

it is this "purpose" or "use" that landuse is about. "grass" is not about
use, "decoration" would be a use, or "food for animals" (pasture / meadow,
etc.), or "separating traffic areas", etc.

> In agriculture, landuse=farmland + landcover=grass is a better fit for
> pastures.

usually landuse=meadow is used for this case. I agree it is also a subclass
of farmland and should probably not have ended at the same level in the
hierarchy,  but this is flat tagging and how it is ;-)

Cheers,
Martin