[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 15:08:47 UTC 2018

Point is of course, that you would not need another landuse type if you
could simply tag smaller areas within the more basic landuse areas (e.g.
residential or commercial) with patches of landcover (grass, sand, trees,
scrub). Would need to indicate decorative or separative use, it's just
different landcover within residential landuse.
Landuse would of course have a default landcover: with landuse=forest the
default would probably be trees, so you would only tag a patch with
landcover when it's different fform the default.

> On 06-06-18 15:15, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> If I draw an area in iD and type “grass” in the search field I get a hit
>> named “grass” with a generic green icon. Done (and I have added another
>> landuse object).
>>
>> The tagging question is not only about documentation and rendering, but
>> also for a very significant part about editor and app presets.
>>

> Exactly. There is a very sensible landcover proposal that, in combination
> with a landuse=greenery (or a different suitable name for
> municipal/community/decorative greenery), makes a lot of sense from a
> semantic standpoint.
>
> Only it won't gain traction because ID and JOSM don't provide presets,
> which they won't do until more people use them, which won't happen until
> openstreetmap-carto renders at least the generic landuse-tag and its
> most-used landcovers (trees, grass, and shrubs).
>
> (Manual) retagging of existing areas also won't happen, because they would
> disappear from openstreetmap-carto, probably leading to reverts and a lot
> of irritation.
>
> So it's a classic catch-22.
>
> I'm not all that familiar with OSM politics (and I use that term without
> derision), but is there a way forward in such a situation?
>
> I could imagine that a slimmed down proposal for a municipal greenery
> landuse, in combination with the more common landcover tags already
> proposed could be a good starting point, but without cooperation from the
> openstreetmap-carto developers and willingness from the ID and JOSM
> developers to incorporate new presets it probably won't progress beyond a
> permanent 'proposed' status.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen Hoek

Vr gr Peter Elderson