[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 09:34:29 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 7. Jun 2018, at 10:46, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
>
>  Get over it, accept that people have made bad choices
> of keys when choosing tags and concentrate on encouraging and helping
> people to choose suitable keys when newly creating tags (in a
> productive way of course, not just by rejecting any idea as bad).

how would we judge suitability of the key without semantics? What is the common criterion for landuse if it is not about landuse, or for tourism if it is not about tourism?

I believe it would be better to fix those very few cases of truly bad choices (e.g. values contradicting the key definition), rather than asking from new contributors (i.e. probably much more people than the current mappers) to get around with an unnecessarily confusing classification system of orthogonal classes under the same key.

Cheers, Martin