[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Michael Andersen osm at hjart.dk
Thu Jun 7 18:13:24 UTC 2018

For many years now I've been pretty happy to use landuse=forest pretty much
everywhere I found a group of trees. Yes, in some cases the semantics irked me
a bit, but landuse=forest always rendered fine. I used what worked for me.

On many occasions however I've seen newbies remove or retag landuse=forest
areas as the very first thing they do after registering. "It's not a forest"
(whatever that means) they argue, even if the area in question is completely
covered with trees and sometimes even has "forest" as part of the name. On
some occasions it's been a real hassle trying to explain that landuse=forest
basically just means that the area is covered by trees, no more, no less, and
that we use it because this is what renders, not because the semantics are
perfect.

So what I'm trying to illustrate is that while I'm happy to use landuse=forest
myself, I do see a practical problem with it; Newbies taking it a bit too
literally. If landcover=trees would render, I imagine it would make my job a
lot easier.

<mailto:selfishseahorse at gmail.com>>> :