[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Jun 7 21:56:23 UTC 2018

7. Jun 2018 19:42 by selfishseahorse at gmail.com <mailto:selfishseahorse at gmail.com>:

> On 7 June 2018 at 19:26, Mateusz Konieczny <> matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> > wrote:
>> 7. Jun 2018 19:25 by >> selfishseahorse at gmail.com <mailto:selfishseahorse at gmail.com>>> :
>>
>>> Sorry, I didn't mean to deprecate landuse=forest. What I meant is:
>>> what prevents us from fixing bad choices?
>>

>> It depends. Can you be more precise what you specifically mean by this?
>
> For instance – to stick with our subject – what prevents OSM Carto
> from rendering landcover=trees?

Unwillingness to promote highly-controversial tag that duplicates currently existing tags,

is generally not supported and is discussed rather than used.

Note that AFAIK it is not supported both by nearly all data consumers and by editors

(when I checked there was no even third-party support via presets).

Please, do not use openstreetmap-carto as way to force your favourite controversial tag scheme.