[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 22:00:52 UTC 2018

I think landuse=forest should remain intact, for cases where forestry is
actually how the land is used.
So the tag is not deprecated, it's just applicated more consistently.

I would encourage the use of landcover=trees for areas within landuse=<some
other actual use>, or even within areas without a landuse (e.g because it's
simply not detectable or known)

> 7. Jun 2018 19:41 by kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com:
>
> and that a preferable spelling might be landcover=trees (if that is what
> is meant) or landuse=forestry (if the land is actively managed as a
> producing forest)
>
> This is not 'deprecating' landuse=forest - -
>
> it's still there, it can be there indefinitely, it can render correctly.
>

> It is exactly deprecating it - see for example
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecation
>
> "In several fields, *deprecation* is the discouragement of use of some
> terminology, feature,
> design, or practice, typically because it has been superseded or is no
> longer considered
> efficient or safe, without completely removing it or prohibiting its use. "

Vr gr Peter Elderson