[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 23:41:01 UTC 2018

That's not what I meant. Significant areas of managed forest is what I
meant, just as it's described in the wiki.
I meant keep the meaning, keep the uses for now, but facilitate a better
alternative at the same time, for those cases where the type of forest/wood
is not (yet) known and for patches of tree-covered land within other
landuses.
Over time, you will see the usage change. Seeing trees will be
landcover=trees; for managed forest: landuse=forest; for unmanaged woods:
natural=wood.

natural=wood and landuse=forest imply landcover=trees except where
otherwise specified, so that's totally backwards compatible with all the
existing millions of uses. No worries there.

> On 07/06/18 23:00, Peter Elderson wrote:
>
>> I think landuse=forest should remain intact, for cases where forestry is
>> actually how the land is used.
>> So the tag is not deprecated, it's just applicated more consistently.
>>

> So you're proposing to change the meaning of a tag that has 3.5 million
> uses?
>
> I'm sure that you have only the best of intentions, but, er, good luck
> with that :)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy

Vr gr Peter Elderson