[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 08:53:49 UTC 2018

On 08/06/18 18:42, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> 8. Jun 2018 10:40 by 61sundowner at gmail.com <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>
>         Seriously, so much time wasted on discussing landuse=forestry
>         and it has 9[sic!] uses.
>

>     I'd quite happily change all 'my' local landuse=forest to
>     landuse=forestry ... there would then be a lot more than 9.
>

>  Are you sure that area covered by trees and area used for forestry
> purposes is exactly the same?

Yes. Well some of the time the trees are gone, not from all areas at
once but from time to time - after all the trees get used to make things
like houses.

These areas are government owned -
"Forestry Corporation of NSW is the largest manager of commercial native
and plantation forests in NSW. We manage recreation
<http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit>, environmental
sustainability <http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/our-forests> and
renewable timber production
<http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/our-forests/timber> in more than
two million hectares of NSW State forests."
"We are Australia's largest grower of plantation pine
<http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/our-forests/silviculture>,
producing enough timber to construct a quarter of the houses built in
Australia each year, and produce certified sustainable
<http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/our-forests/certification> native
hardwood timber. A State Owned Corporation with an independent Board of
Directors
<http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/about/forestry-corporation-board>,
our sustainability framework
<http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/our-forests/sustainability-framework>
sets out our principles for managing both the forests and our business"

That does not include private property areas that are also used for
timber production.
And yes they are mapped in OSM .. using copyright material that OSM has
been granted written approval to use.