[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Jun 8 09:03:52 UTC 2018

6. Jun 2018 16:34 by osm at imagico.de <mailto:osm at imagico.de>:

> The problem here is that it is not just one or two, there is a
> significant group of people, at least a dozen overall i suppose, who on
> the wiki consider it their mission to educate mappers on correct use of
> tags (based on certain ideas regarding key semantics or data model
> ideas in general) rather than documenting their actual use.  The
> uselessness of many tag pages on the wiki -
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dgrass <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dgrass>>  and
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dtrees <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dtrees>>  are good
> examples here - is largely due to that.  They are filled with talking
> points from the fight for 'correct' key semantics that leave the mapper
> looking for substantial information on tag use with nothing but
> confusion.

I made some edits intended to fix this issue:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Alanduse%3Dgrass&type=revision&diff=1615924&oldid=1589206 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Alanduse%3Dgrass&type=revision&diff=1615924&oldid=1589206>

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Landuse&type=revision&diff=1615922&oldid=1601313 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Landuse&type=revision&diff=1615922&oldid=1601313>

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key%3Alanduse&type=revision&diff=1615920&oldid=1557401 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key%3Alanduse&type=revision&diff=1615920&oldid=1557401>

In general, on spotting the problem on wiki the best way to deal with it is to edit it

(it generally takes less time than complaining).