[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 09:10:39 UTC 2018

On 08/06/18 19:05, Peter Elderson wrote:
> Most would agree that it is rather stretching the meaning of forest,
> but it's the closest availabl tag to get the tree patches rendered on
> the map.
natural=wood works... and is 'free' of the land use requirement.
The word 'natural' has been taken to mean anything in OSM .. sigh.
So natural=wood is much bette thatn landuse=forest.

  Landcover is a much clear meaning and can be used for 'natural' and
'unnatural'.
So I normally combine it with anything that is tagged 'natural'.