[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Telecom local netwoks

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 00:15:57 UTC 2018

On 11 June 2018 at 08:14, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 June 2018 at 01:52, Fran├žois Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A telephone exchange is a particular device inside a central office.
>> We look forward to map places, not devices for now.
>>
>> People used to put man_made=telephone_exchange or man_made=MDF to tag a
>> building/place while it's only particular devices inside.
>>

> Thanks for that, but I'm afraid that the continual OSM worldwide
> translation problem is raising it's ugly head yet again.
>
> In Australia at least, "telephone exchange" refers to the building itself,
> which houses the Main Frame (where all the cables are terminated) & the
> various types of switching equipment. In 20 years of working for our
> Telecom, I never heard the phrase "Central Office" - the closest thing that
> would refer to is an Admin Office of some sort.

+1, most of the time that building would have a name like "... Exchange"
and tagged currently as simply man_made=telephone_exchange. This makes it
easy to survey from the outside without working in the industry to know
exactly what's going on inside the building.

Central office is confusing to me as it sounds like it's the head office of
the company, ie. office=telecommunication.

I know these terms are different by country and we need a global tag, but
just letting you know the proposed usage would be very confusing for
Australia.