[Tagging] I can't support transit:lanes

Bryan Housel bhousel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 04:42:09 UTC 2018

I’ve had a few recent conversations about this proposal:
 https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/transit <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/transit>

Unfortunately I can’t support it.

Not only is the name bad (it should be named `transition:lanes` but whatever), the bigger problem is that, as proposed, the tag can be placed on either a way or a relation.

The problem with tagging these on ways is that if you split the way, the tag breaks.

No other tag works this way (except maybe for address interpolation lines, but presumably anybody splitting one of those would know that they need to adjust the numbers on the endpoints).

I’m not going to add a special rule in iD to warn people if they are splitting a way with a lane transition tag.  I don’t want to speak for the JOSM devs, but I doubt they would implement something like this either.

The only way I’ll be able to support lane transitions would be as a relation that has similar semantics to turn restrictions.. from/via/to.  Keep it simple (no multi via ways please).  This is already an understood way of tagging things that connect 2 ways.  (could you imagine if we tagged turn restrictions as  maybe-a-relation or maybe-a-way-tag ?? nope!)

I notice that `transit:lanes` has already been tagged on around 4000 or so ways, so I thought it would be worth pointing out that the proposal is Dead on Arrival in it’s current state.  We should rework it before people tag too many more of these and end up disappointed.

thanks, Bryan