[Tagging] emergency=lifeguard

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 05:09:07 UTC 2018

I think having this level of separation is very important and we should
encourage tagging the exact type of lifeguard facility over a generic
emergency=lifeguard.

However in the same way the generic highway=road can be used if the highway
classification isn't known, we could add emergency=lifeguard as a
placeholder tagging until the exact type can be mapped. iD does this via
the "Unknown Road" preset, so we could do the same with an "Unknown
Lifeguard Facility" mapped as emergency=lifeguard. This would ensure it's
non-destructive to the 800+ existing features mapped.

If the consensus is to replace the existing tags into subtags, then a
mechanical edit should happen to ensure those 800+ features are migrated,
if that's not possible, we should retain the current tagging
recommendations.