[Tagging] emergency=lifeguard

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Mon Jun 11 05:39:32 UTC 2018

From: Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 11 June 2018 15:31
To: Tag discussion, strategy and related tools <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] emergency=lifeguard

> Also, water_rescue_station is probably identical to lifeguard_base

Agree based on the description given at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dwater_rescue_station it sounds like lifeguard_base.

Just based on the tag name I thought it meant something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coast_guard. The wikipedia page seems to indicate coast_guard is a common term internationally (even though many of the agencies worldwide aren't known as the "Coast Guard", it seems like it's common enough for emergency=coast_guard.

That was my first thought too, but then I looked at the description on the wiki and it very much sounds like a life guard base and not a coast guard station.

I wonder if any of the current water_rescue_station's are really coast guards?

That’s certainly possible. If the decision is made to merge these keys, they will probably all need to be manually checked.