[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jun 12 20:56:20 UTC 2018

12. Jun 2018 13:22 by marc.gemis at gmail.com <mailto:marc.gemis at gmail.com>:

> How do people in GIS know how many square meter of forest there is in
> a country based on OSM-data ?

I would start from something like: total area of area covered by

landuse=forest and natural=wood

after excluding very small areas.

>  Is the data suited for that ?

Depends on (a) where (b) what kind of accuracy is needed, forest in many regions

are unmapped or partially mapped.

> How can I find those places with OSM data ?

What you exactly want to find?

> I thought I had an answer for all the above questions when
> natural=wood, landuse=forest, landcover=trees where used "properly".

No, you cant. As there are conflicting tagging methods

natural=wood, landuse=forest, landcover=trees are effectively synonymous.

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Forest <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Forest> for details.