[Tagging] The endless debate about "landcover" as a top-level tag

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 22:42:28 UTC 2018

On 13/06/18 23:01, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 8:00 AM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     On 13/06/18 19:48, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>     <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>>:
>>
>>         13. Jun 2018 11:42 by dieterdreist at gmail.com
>>         <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

>>             <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>>:
>>
>>                 Obviously - ownership would be recorded in owner tag
>>                 (rarely done for obvious reasons) and
>>
>>             what are the obvious reasons not to record if land is
>>             owned by the public or privately owned?
>>

>>         Complicated and boring to survey, limited usefulness of this
>>         information.
>>

>>     the usefulness of knowing the land ownership depends on the
>>     jurisdiction.
>>

>     The amount of time and effort in obtaining the information may be
>     beyond the mappers tolerance.
>     The may want to map other things with that time that they see as
>     much more important and usefull to them.
>     If the name ends with "State Forest" you know who operates it, it
>     is ultimately the State Government .
>
>     Access to state owned forestry areas is normally public.
>     Closed or at least restricted when logging or there is a special
>     event on - like a car rally.
>     These things are generally understood, infrequent and so not
>     normally mapped. These exceptions are what OSM does not cater for
>     well.
>

> Yes.
>
> I don't do a lot of landcover mapping, because I render my own maps
> with third-party landcover data. I do landcover for detail mapping in
> my own neighbourhood, for producing large-scale trail maps of specific
> small areas, or to override trouble spots in the third-party
> database.willing o
>
> For landuse mapping, what chiefly concerns me is recreational
> opportunities.
>
> To this end, I maintain a few imports of public lands in New York
> State, as well as mapping various public-access lands that are in
> private hands. I do try to map access in places where it's
> complicated. Some of these lands are managed for forestry - and I have
> no tag available to indicate this. Neither 'natural=wood' nor
> 'landuse=forest' appear to mean anything more than 'shade this area
> green on the map, and draw trees on it.'
>
> If this discussion reaches some sort of rough consensus, I'm certainly
> willing to do mechanical edits updating the few thousand areas that I
> imported. (Mechanical edits to correct systematic errors in imported
> data are, as I understand it, acceptable.) I'm not very happy with the
> use of those imports as evidence of 'this is tagging practice' - the
> current import is more 'least worst' tagging that will remain
> consistent with current rendering and with imports in neighbouring
> states. I'm NOT willing to retag with mechanical edits if the price of
> the retagging will be that the State Forests, Wildlife Management
> Areas, Watershed Recreation Areas, and so on will disappear from the
> [...]

I'd think there is around 1,000 here that I can change. About 600 in
'my' state and the rest I hope to find mapped in OSM other states.

At the moment for rendering green with trees there is natural=wood. And
that can be combined with landuse=forestry.
To me the natural=wood tag is a 'tagging for the render' thing, and I
don't like it. But it may be a work around until landuse=forestry is
accepted and rendered in a different way to 'there be trees'.
I'd not add the tag landcover=trees, in the long term I'd remove
natural=wood from landuse=forestry to keep landuse=forestry clean of
'there be trees'.

There is also landuse=logging which I suspect is really forestry ...
over 47,000 uses of that tag.